Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Did you listen to me?



I'm so happy to hear that Elizabeth Strout has won the Pulitzer Prize for her wonderful novel in stories, Olive Kitteridge.

It was my book for 2008, and you can hear an interview with Elizabeth here from the excellent Pen on Fire podcast. This podcast is one of my many addictions - I love the interviewer, Barbara Demarco-Barrett.

I wonder what it must be like to wake up this morning and be a Pulitzer Prize winner. Nothing would be the same, would it?

5 comments:

James Friel said...

Hi Sarah

Im teaching a totliegh arvon course - 1-2-1 Fiction - and, related to yr blog entry, a student was asking for examples of short story collections made up of stories that work in themselves but together also to give a portrait of a time or place etc - not a novel in segments however but truly a coherent colelction. I thought of Curtain of Green by Eudora Welty and then came to a blank.

Sarah Salway said...

You would really love this one, Jim. What about Alice Munro? Or the Dubliners? If Tania gets to read this on here, she'll know masses.

jem said...

Fancy that. I read this early in the year on your recommendation. Then listed it to sell on via Green Metropolis, no takers for a couple of months, then this morning an email to say it's sold, and I wondered why now, but now I know.

Sarah Salway said...

Hah, Jem, you should have doubled the price! Did you enjoy it?

jem said...

Yes, I know, I could have got more than I paid for it, still, just happy it's on it's way to someone who wants it.

Yes, I really liked it, great form, each chapter so self-contained, yet subtly linked to all the others. At times I felt that Olive was a little too like me though, made me squirm in my seat at times, but in a good way!