Sunday, March 05, 2006

Winnie the Pooh and 100 Acre Wood

From my window I can just catch sight of Ashdown Forest which was the inspiration for A A Milne's 100 Acre wood in his Winnie the Pooh books

Luckily, it's curiously unspoilt, considering the books have now been disneyfied, and even the Poohsticks bridge - which really exists - has been kept low-key. In fact, apart from the village of Hartfield which has a Pooh gift-shop, about the only nod in Pooh's direction in the forest is this plaque which I walked past today - the view above is taken from this spot - apparently it was one of AA Milne's favourite spots to sit.

I like the fact that E H Shepard gets a mention too, because his illustrations are almost as important in making the stories come alive to kids.

And so my writing prompt for today is ... to write about a childhood teddy or favourite toy.

No comments: