Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Writing in Different Places

OK, I wonder if anyone else has this problem, or is it me just being mad? Now that I've got myself a perfect writing room, somehow it's a little too....perfect. I can edit here, can write letters, reports, pitches, can read here wonderfully, but I need to break through to actually writing. 'Look here,' the room tells me, 'look at these beautiful blue walls, the desk you picked out so carefully, the little window... you need to write something REALLY special to do us justice.' So for my scribbles, freewriting, rough drafts, I've been sneaking off to other places just so my room doesn't see my shame. Thanks to the vole-goddess, Kate Long, for directions to this article by the scriptwriter of Desperate Housewives, Deanna Carlyle, which gives ideas for 'other places to write'. I'm going to work my way through them one by one and see which works. I particularly like the idea of writing in a hotel lobby with the canned music - I wonder if you could write in the lift - I guess that might be a haiku between floors!

And my writing prompt for today is going to be ... waiting in the hotel lobby.

2 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

Yep I kinda have this problem ... I write about it a lot in my website's Updates. I like to write in the middle of a crowded restaurant - or the corner of a quiet one or outside under a tree (in summer). I like to write anywhere really except on a moving vehicle - I only end up with travel sickness if I try that (trains or planes are okay tho', but I don't go on many trains or planes ...)

Anonymous said...

I keep getting bigger and bigger desks thinking the writing will go more smoothly, but I do best in Starbucks or sitting in my bed with the laptop.