Friday, May 18, 2007

Everyday Matters


The book, Everyday Matters by Danny Gregory has given me some electric moments today. I was sceptical at first, but that says more about me than the book because it's not trying to convert me into anything. There are no self-help or 'come over to my side' lessons, more just a feeling of how it felt for one person to get through a bad time. When Danny's wife, Patti, had an accident leaving her in a wheelchair, his first thought was 'why me?'. Then when his wife seemed able to cope with the changes but not him, he took up drawing. The way he describes the process of letting go into the creativity is really beautiful, and there's a randomness about the pages, the stories, the humour that makes you feel you're there with him, learning to see things all over again. The page of drawings of all the different lightbulbs in his house has given me at least one idea for a short story, and I feel inspired to go out into my neighbourhood (becoming what he calls the 'weirdo' if I'm not that already) with my pencil and pad right now to capture some living of my own. In fact, the need to make something, anything, is proving compulsive. I love the quote at the beginning from Miles Davis: "Do not fear mistakes. There are none." If Danny Gregory's got a side, I guess I've come right over to it!

No comments: