Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

For the last two years, I have spent the start of each year at an artist residency in America on a residential fellowship. This year, I'll be at home. Counting my blessings and looking forward to a great 2010 for us all.

But one of the insights from 2009 that has stuck with me came from another Fellow I met at VCCA this time last year. She started growing a hyacinth in her studio to remind her that - in the artistic process - while nothing much might seem to be happening on the surface ...



... there was nevertheless a lot of solid root growing going on under water ...



This feels like the best image of 2009 for me. It might have seemed less overtly SPARKLY than other years for me but I'm hoping the hard work of solid root-growing, nourishing and composting that has been going on almost invisibly at times promises well for the future. I can't tell you how excited I am about some of the projects I've got lined up for next year. Well, actually I seriously can't tell you about some at the moment, but I'm sure I'll be spilling the beans about them very very loudly as things get confirmed!



And here are some of my BEST OFs... because I've enjoyed these lists on other blogs...

BEST AUTHOR

Diane Ackerman wrote two of the books I've enjoyed the most this year. A Natural History of the Senses and The Zookeepers Wife.

BEST BLOG

Has to be a toss up between White Hot truth by Danielle Le Porte, and Advanced Style. Both always make me feel alive in very different ways.

BEST FILM

2009 was a year of documentaries for me. Exciting, mind-opening and often funny and heartbreaking - sometimes both. I particularly loved Helvetica and Grey Gardens.

BEST MUSIC

Has to be The Antlers, although I'm still attached to last years Blitzen Trapper so you can have that too.





BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT

Did you really need to ask?



HAPPY NEW YEAR AND A JOY FILLED 2010 TO EVERYONE...

No comments: