Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Amazon recommends....

Several puzzled emails from friends this morning about the books I HAD actually written led me to this recommendation sent out by Amazon:

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,

As someone who has expressed interest in books by Sarah Salway, you might
like to know that "Long-term Ill-health, Poverty and Ethnicity: A
Mixed-methods Investigation into the Experiences of Living with Chronic
Health Conditions in the UK" will be released on 30 April 2007.

Long-term Ill-health, Poverty and Ethnicity: A Mixed-methods Investigation
into the Experiences of Living with Chronic Health Conditions in the UK
Sarah Salway

Price: £15.95
Release Date: 30 April 2007


I'd love to claim talent for this, but reading a book while hula-hooping is about the limit of my multi-talents and in fact, there is another Sarah Salway - we emailed each other for a while, purely with excitement about having the same name, and it was the strangest thing, seeing myself pop up in my own email box. As the book title above suggests, she researches into health methods, based at Sheffield University, but she did say she often gets students coming up to discuss poetry, which puzzled her until she found out about me. As far as I know, this is her first book but now I guess the confusion is going to live for a while.

And onto something completely different, and if I can just show off madly for a second, I'm so happy with this review from Scott Pack's blog today, particularly the quote:
"full of the meaningless minutiae of human existence which become so meaningful when Salway gets her hands on them."
I've never forgotten those photographs we used to have when we were kids - the ones that showed an ordinary household object from an extraordinary angle and you had to guess what it was. Trying to do something similar is at the heart of most of my writing, and it's lovely to have that picked up, so in celebration, my writing prompt for today is going to be ... cheese graters.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Well it could be worse, Sarah.
And reading a book while hulhulahula-(we always said it 3x in MY day)-hooping IS mega talent. I couldn't hulahh-hoop EVEN while my dad twisted it round for me while I walked round in a circle..

Sarah Salway said...

I know, Jan. I'm immensely proud of myself. Not too much hip movement - that's the key!