Wednesday, May 10, 2006

It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment? For the moment passes, it is forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone. That is where the writer scores over his fellows: he catches the changes of his mind on the hop. Vita Sackville-West.
Today I have been busy writing, clapping the net over my own particular butterfly, and now I'm tired out. It's an almost physical exhaustion although I've hardly moved at all. I'm going to sit in the afternoon sunshine and just freewrite around my writing prompt for today which is ... a day slipping emptily by.

1 comment:

White Square said...

What an impressive line.."A writer scores above his fellows:he catches the changes of his mind on the hop".