Sunday, May 07, 2006


It would have been the birthday of one of my most loved and inspirational writers, Angela Carter today. I was lucky enough to meet her once, when I was organising a literary conference for readers of Cosmopolitan magazine. We had a fantastic line-up - Fay Weldon, Deborah Moggach, even Maya Angelou, and the day was just full of inspiration, fun and naturalness. Magic. So whatever happened to REALLY good literature and women's magazines? Seems to me that the magazines that are continuing publishing new stories are the ones for older women.

2 comments:

AscenderRisesAbove said...

Perhaps zines in general are dieing out as blogs take thier places? Just a thought ...

Sarah Salway said...

Well, there's certainly a lot of good stuff to read in blogs, but those magazines paid well too - and I think we lose a lot if writers only get paid if they write books.