Thursday, April 17, 2008

Things that make me happy, no 1




Finding this mini Etch a Sketch in a toy shop yesterday.

Not only does it fit neatly in my handbag, but it seems that - somehow, by some miracle - I can now master the art of the curved line by twisting both buttons at the same time.

If you're jealous, and far too busy to visit a toy shop, you can get yourself a virtual one here. Move over the Blackberry, eh? Actually I'd love to organise a massive collaboration where a whole lot of writers get given an Etch a Sketch each and they have to write one word which I then shuffle round until I make a short story. It could even be an exhibition - I can see the room lined with Etch a Sketches - where the visitors get the chance to change the story simply by deleting the old word with a few shakes and replacing it with their own word.

Heck, it could even become an Olympic sport.

Anyone know how we could get funding?

6 comments:

Alice said...

Just found your blog. I'm a writer and just started a blog but I'm no good with technology so there are no pictures! Your books sound really interesting and I hope to read them.

With best wishes,

Alice

Kathryn said...

Sounds like my kind of sport; minimal stress on the knees. I like the idea that I still have the potential to make the Olympics.

I like your updated website, by the way.

Sarah Salway said...

Hello, ALice. Nice to 'meet' you - and I'm looking forward to visiting your blog.
Yes, Kathryn, I think we could be definitely in with a chance for 2012. Glad you like the website.

PATRICIA DEBNEY said...

I ADORE etch a sketches, Sarah! Did you have them here years ago, or is it an American thing? I remember long patches of doing them in childhood...always fearful of the accidental line out of place and so the whole thing has to go, of course...but then I was a little anal...xxoo

Sarah Salway said...

We did indeed, Patricia. My worry was always that one of my brothers would come and shake them just after I'd spent hours on the perfect pic. Houses were always best, I remember. Funny, thinking about it, I've only been writing - it's as if I've forgotten about images!

Debi said...

Etch-a-Sketch was my first really 'posh' toy, bought for me by my brother with his first pay packet.

Simple pleasures, eh?