Thursday, April 20, 2006

I am so pleased that my friend, Michelle Lovric's website is up and running. It's worth a look not least because it's so beautiful, just like her and her books, the latest of which, The Remedy, is out in paperback in the UK at the beginning of May. Very definitely worth a read - it's one of those books you can lose yourself in as you travel from London's Bankside to Venice in the late 1700's, and was a worthy inclusion in the longlist of this year's Orange Prize.

Here's an extract to whet your appetite:

So at fifteen, spread belly-down upon the floor, a black sheet hunched over me and candles at my foot and head, my lips pressed on stone, litanies in my ears, as the priest broke and entered my shocked fist to slide the ring on my finger, I promised to take no other husband than Christ. I almost meant it. In that heady moment the vow itself seemed no great sacrifice: I'd never known a man, but I had tasted chocolate.


And one of the Amazon reviews:

Gripping and grimy, September 2, 2005
Reviewer: J. Cotton (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This one's even better than 'Carnevale', her last, and just as flavoursome! The action switches between Venice, where a daughter of the aristocratic Venier family is confined to a convent, very much against her will, and London where later Valentine Greatrakes' quack-remedy and 'importing' business is stuck a blow as his partner is killed in Venice. There will be more murders, lies, romance, sex and travel before the plot to this one plays itself out. There's also much vivid description of the streets and low life of the Thames Bankside and dank Venetian canal sides - The Remedy gives good 18th Century Venice and London, with descriptions you can almost taste, and not just of the food. The hint of decadence in the writing and nastiness in the plotting I find much to my taste too. And if you want to know how you can use any peacock dung, faeculae of cuckow and ox galls you might have about the place in remedies and other useful potions this book will tell you, with handy recipes at the start of each chapter. Gripping stuff!


And so my writing prompt for today is going to be ... gripping and grimy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're friends with Michelle Lovric? Lucky you! I read 'The Floating Book' and loved, loved, loved it! I cannot wait to sink my teeth into 'The Remedy'.

She is an amazingly talented woman. Just like you! No wonder you're friends.

Sarah Salway said...

Oh that's so nice, thank you. I've passed it on to Michelle too! And my daughter and I have been visiting your blog. She loves collage so was very interested.