Saturday, September 30, 2006

When my novel, Something Beginning With, first came out, I remember a friend telling me it had been on the longlist to be chosen as the book one UK village would all read that year. I thought she was having me on, but I've just discovered the website for the tiny village of Waverton (population 2,000), and am very chuffed to see my book there in the archives. What a fantastic idea though - to support first books by new authors through actually reading them. I'm really looking forward to seeing who they pick this year - the list alone looks varied enough to give no clue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AND THE WINNER IS: Marina Lewycka for " A short history of tractors in Ukranian". She's visiting Waverton during CHESTER LITERATURE FESTIVAL ( see www.chesterlitfest.org.uk ) for a special dinner on Fri Oct 6th. The Waverton people would love to hear how impressed you are.

Anonymous said...

I was chuffed to bits when I was included too. It's a lovely vote of confidence, isn't it?

I loved Marina's novel.

Sarah Salway said...

Please tell them, Jan. And excellent choice. I really loved the 'tractor book' too. Kate, they have good taste in Waverton, don't they?!!!