Tuesday, November 21, 2006

When my friend Anne told me about a scheme to knit scarves for the lions in Trafalgar Square, I thought she must be joking. But Stich and Bitch are doing exactly that. Groups from all round the world are busy knitting bits of the scarf (or possibly four so the lions don't squabble), and they'll be joined together to make a magnificent 43.5 foot scarf, which will be draped around the lion(s) in the New Year before being auctioned off for cancer research charities. One of the groups taking part is Men Who Knit. I don't know why their website salutation 'Good day to you manly knitters' should make me so uncynically happy, but it does. Almost as much as the news of how another London knitting group, the Cast Off Knitting Club were once asked to leave the Savoh Hotel after complaints of impropriety when they held an impromptu knitting circle there.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I like " uncynically happy"!!!
I found another writing poem today. " Words" by Anne Sexton. Have put a bit of it on my blog in reply to your comment.

Emmy Ellis said...

Manly knitters.

LOL that's funny.

Great cause too!

:o)