Friday, October 31, 2008

How things have changed ....

In my file of potentially useful things to hold against the children should it become necessary (what? You expect me to believe you don't have one? All parents should...) I have my son's first published piece of work. Along with a drawing of him looking like Edward Scissorhands for some reason, all hair and fingers, there's this:
I came to school and I haud no curectshens and then we went down the hill to get the bus but it wasn't theyr it had brocen down then we went to maisieq the firer (nope, I don't know what this mean either - probably involved some sort of snack. They seemed to snack a lot in Edinburgh. Anyway it all adds to the narrative tension I think he's achieved perfectly because look what happens next ... ) then we came bac and we went up the hill.

And now I have just received his latest published piece of work. A little different maybe, not least because I can understand every word. I bet he still had no curectshens... And that's the end of the proud mother alert, apart from the fact this isn't going in the potentially embarrasing file - although I have a dreadful feeling he might be keeping one on me now and this blog post is so going in there!

4 comments:

Sue Guiney said...

What an article! Coherent, well-reasoned, well-written. No wonder there were no "curectshens" this time! I do love this little kid stuff, though....

Sarah Salway said...

I know, Sue. I'm so happy I kept it all, but his piece is cool, isn't it? I actually understood it!

Kathryn's Daily Writing Workout said...

A brilliant piece of writing, how encouraging! I look forward to being able to understand any of my children in any way whatsoever.

pierre l said...

An excellent piece. I am looking forward to his first book.