Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's back ... and it's even more lean, mean, intense ...

The Your Messages project was definitely a highlight for me last year.

So how could we not do something again this November?

Trouble was, what? Lynne and I knew we couldn't do it exactly the same all over again - not least because we worked out we read nearly three times the equivalent of War and Peace, however wonderful it was!

BUT we have worked something out. Come and join us on the Your Messages website, and keep November 1st in your diary.

Here are the details:

Every day during the month of November 2008 we will post a writing prompt of exactly 30 words and you’re invited to respond, via the comments box, with your own original piece of writing which may be either exactly 30 words or 300 words long.

At the end of the month we’ll be choosing one response as the overall prize-winner (although we may well comment on one or two others as well) and the writer of that piece will receive signed copies of our books: Leading the Dance, Learning How to Fall, Something Beginning With and The Oven House.

And how will we make our decision from so much fine writing? Here are a few things to bear in mind:

1.There should be some kind of link to the prompt, e.g. theme, image, word or phrase
2.It should be a stand-alone piece of writing.
3.It has to be brilliant! :-)))

We look forward to meeting up with as many old and new ‘Messagers’ as possible online from 1st November.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an excellent idea.. I shall be following closely! :)

Michelle

Sarah Salway said...

Thank you - I hope you'll join in too!

Kathryn's Daily Writing Workout said...

I can't wait! I'm limbering up as we speak.

Alex Johnson said...

Everybody on Twitter should tweet about it as it's very suitable for Tweeters.

Sarah Salway said...

Kathryn, it's writing, not dancing. Or not dancing yet. Just so we're clear.
Alex - I need to find out more about Twitter. I've tried to shut it out, but it keeps knocking. Can I actually bear more excitements?

jem said...

Great to hear its happening again. I loved reading it, but felt a bit shy last year and only contributed once. Hopefully I'll feel braver this year. I'll spread the word too.

Alex Johnson said...

Twitter is the new Facebook. Facebook is so 2007.

Sarah Salway said...

Jem, I'd really appreciate it if you could spread the news around. Lynne and I really hope it gets the same energy as last year (and of course raise some money for Kids Co into the bargain if it feels right for people!)
Little bro, you are indeed the style guru.

jem said...

Just to let you know Sarah, I made a little button thing and put it up on my blog - I hope it sends a few people your way. I hope you approve of the design, I can change it if not.

Sarah Salway said...

Jem, thank you! It's perfect. How did you do that though? Please could I have a lesson?