Friday, October 31, 2008

Oh Oh Oh...



Beautiful vowels

It took seven years to write Eunoia

Eunoia is the shortest word in English containing all five vowels - and it means "beautiful thinking". It is also the title of Canadian poet Christian Bok's book of fiction in which each chapter uses only one vowel.

Mr Bok believes his book proves that each vowel has its own personality, and demonstrates the flexibility of the English language. Below are extracts from each chapter.


More here, and I see some commenters are asking 'why?', to which I can only say, Christian Bok, marry me...

9 comments:

Clare said...

I think I'd like to suffer from Eunoia.

Nik Perring said...

That's ace!

Sarah Salway said...

I challenge you to a beautiful thing in Eunoia speak, Clare!
Aca actally, Nak...

Nik Perring said...

Yo' not wrong, hon, no.

N

Alex Johnson said...

Completely bonkers.

jem said...

I really want to read this - that for flagging it up. I think playing about with language is a great thing. I thought 'Ella Minnow Pea' was great despite initial reservations that it might be all gimmick and no story.

Lynne and Sarah said...

Exactly, Jem. Women's World by Graham Rawle is pretty clever too.

Sarah Salway said...

Ooops, that was just me. I do sometimes speak without Lynne!

Michelle said...

Sarah, you're a fountain of information.