Monday, September 22, 2008

Back to school...

Well, I know it's really September now because I'm starting teaching again this morning. I've had all sorts of emails from students warning me that they've got rusty over the summer, so we're going to start with a blast of music. Not literally but using song lyrics as prompts. I had a lovely w/e picking out some good ones. Just look at these ...


"I guess I shoulda known
by the way you parked your car sideways
that it wouldn't last"
--Prince's 'Little Red Corvette'

"Sittin' in the morning sun, I'll be sittin' when the evening comes"
--Otis Redding's '(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay'

"Well, I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt"
--Johnny Cash's 'Sunday Morning Coming Down'

"Wake up Maggie, I think I got something to say to you"
--Rod Stewart's 'Maggie May'

"I like big butts and I cannot lie"
--Sir Mix-A-Lot's 'Baby Got Back'

"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste"
--The Rolling Stones' 'Sympathy for the Devil'

"She was more like a beauty queen from a
movie scene"
--Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean'

"Well, she was just seventeen -- you know what I mean"
--The Beatles' 'I Saw Her Standing There'

3 comments:

Alex Johnson said...

Wot! No Snow Patrol?

jem said...

I find songs can also provide a good prompt when you need one - take a lyric and carry it on, reply, say what the character did next etc.

Sarah Salway said...

I like thinking about the characters, Jem - a response to some of the song lyrics from the 'you' would be an interesting exercise!
No Snow Patrol, no. You don't mess with Snow Patrol lyrics... not even me. And do you know what, I think I've moved on from Snow Patrol now. The Fleet Foxes are my new boys.