Thursday, September 04, 2008

Short stories


The blogger and short story Goddess, Tania Hershman has an interesting article on short stories on the Vulpes Libris website. In it, she discusses why we continually lump short stories and novels together, rather than let the short story be its own distinctive genre, like poetry or playwriting.

As founder of the Short Review, Tania makes a beautiful case to celebrate the short story. I liked this quote in particular: "to sum up: if you want to grasp a sparkling handrail, go on a trip which will leave you knowing more than you meant to, get to know another human being, be delighted by erotic lad lit science fiction or historical magical realism in translation, and make a short story writer lurking in your local bookshop very happy, go and buy - or borrow - a short story collection."

Tania is also interviewed over on Nik's blog. It's all part of the launch of her own short story collection, The White Road and Other Stories. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive any minute now...

9 comments:

Tania Hershman said...

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah, you are too too kind.... Goddess? Moi? I am blushing and grinning all at the same time - and polishing my magic wand (or don't goddesses need them?). So glad you liked the post, thank you so so much for plugging the book, that means the world to me. I only hope my copy comes soon, I haven't seen it yet!

Nik Perring said...

Wow Tania - you've been called a short story goddess BY a short story goddess; that's pretty cool in my book!

Thanks for linking, Sarah.

Nik

Tania Hershman said...

Exactly, Nik!

Sarah Salway said...

Haha... look at us having a 'moment' on this blog! Tania, you don't need a magic wand - you have The Short Review. I respect people who create something like that so much - most of the rest of us just talk about it!

Nik Perring said...

Yeah - what Sarah said. Really hope you've got your copy T.

N

jem said...

I've always been a bit unsure about short stories. I've never quite connected with the form as a reader. But I'm trying really hard at the moment and have embarked on short story summer (ok, the weather is letting down the last part) and I think the total immersion technique is working. I am coming to understand what they can offer. I've read three great collections so far and have a few more lined up (including one by our host Ms Salway!). I'll add this one to my wishlist as I like the sound of it (and I think I read about it somewhere else this week too!).

Sarah Salway said...

That's interesting, Jem- so what are the particular qualities that have won you over?

jem said...

Grrr I wrote a long reply to your question but it disappeared! I'm planning a post about my thoughts in the next couple of days, I'll stick a link here when it's up...

jem said...

The rumoured link - http://thekingfisherscrapbook.blogspot.com/2008/09/and-now-for-short-break.html