Friday, September 19, 2008

Yo ho ho and Wi' a wannion!

Talking of general silliness and shivering me timbers, today is National Talk Like a Pirate Day, so to celebrate I am having a competition, me hearties. Treasure will be won for the best poem, paragraph, short short story in pirate-speak! No land-lubbers welcome...

And to start you off to get your pieces o' eight, here are some S's...

Scurvy dog!: a fine insult!
Shiver me timbers!: an exclamation of surprise, to be shouted most loud.
Son of a Biscuit Eater: a derogatory term indicating a bastard son of a sailor
Sprogs: raw, untrained recruits
Squadron: a group of ten or less warships
Squiffy: a buffoon
Swaggy: a scurvy cur's ship what ye be intendin' to loot!
Swashbucklin': fightin' and carousin' on the high seas!
Sweet trade: the career of piracy

You can find more here.

Entries should not be posted here, but sent to me by email - you can find my email on my profile bit - by Sunday night. I will be the judge and can be easily corrupted with chocolate coins.

No comments: